Sunday, October 31, 2010

Decisions of the Group

Making sure I made my way to class on Monday, I had a different assumption of what class would entail. After being told that we were to make an immense decision with such little time and guidance, students got right into it. Luckily enough, Abe and Juelz  jumped up to assume the roles as “leaders” and guide the mass of ideas that would arise. Even though Abe and Juelz’s power was low compared to the class group, their roles were necessary. Without their assistance, I doubt the class would have moved as quickly when trying to make a decision.  As leaders, Abe and Juelz helped push the class to keep with our time constraint and communicate the decision proposals clearly.
                As I look back at the entire process and how I acted during that activity, I find that I can easily place myself into the Accommodation category. After the curve, I would receive a score I was happy with. Knowing that there were still scores that were low with the curve, I just laid back and let those who needed more help engage in the activity. Overall, I think our class worked really well while trying to make a decision. I think the only way we could have improved during the activity was if we split up into smaller groups early on in the process to generate more ideas. I think that within smaller groups, individuals would have felt more at ease to contribute.


2 comments:

  1. I felt the same as you, however i feel that splitting into smaller groups in the beginning, and than shooting out ideas after that from each group would have taking up more time. With the time constraint we had, it was best to have things done the way the were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Similarly to you, I also acted as an accommodator. I saw no reason to add to the already hectic environment of the classroom when I was confident that everyone else and I shared the same goal. So I essentially trusted my classmates enough to put my grade in their hands.

    ReplyDelete